Squash bug on a pumpkin leaf

Squash bug on a winter squash leaf in my Arkansas garden

Human child next to infected patch of winter squash

Child next to infected patch of winter squash

My winter squash plants are being attacked!

My winter squash plants are being attacked!

Squash bug nymphs on on dead leaf

Squash bug nymphs on dead leaf

Squash bug nymphs

Squash bug nymphs

Squash bug nymph looking for refuge on a squash leaf

Squash bug nymph looking for refuge on a squash leaf

squash-bug-nymph-on-winter-squash-leaf-zoomed

Soft, white, squash bug nymph

Squash bug eggs on underside of winter squash leaf

Squash bug eggs on underside of winter squash leaf

Squash bug eggs

Squash bug eggs

Squash bug adult

Squash bug adult

Squash bug adult

Squash bug adult

How to Kill Squash Bugs Organically

The video below shows an organic way to kill squash bugs and cucumber beetles, using dish soap. It’s amazing how fast it works! [ Credit: georgem21275 ]

I tried this and it works!  Fast!  I just used dish soap mixed with water and poured it over a gathering of squash bugs and they were all paralyzed within seconds.  It was just a little soap and mostly water, shaken up.

How does dish soap kill bugs?

The soap suffocates them.  These insects breath through their outer covering and not through their mouth.  Air enters the insect’s body through valve-like openings in the exoskeleton.  [ source ] A soapy liquid covering their body clogs up these openings, preventing Oxygen from entering their bodies.

Other Common Squash Pests

The video below shows several of the common insect pests on squash plants. [ Credit: NMSU ]

Conclusion

You can combat squash bugs with a small amount of cheap dishwashing liquid and water, which is also fairly harmless to our environment.

37 Comments

1. Cindi says:

THANK YOU – I hate these bugs…they are eating everything!

2. Cindi says:

I went outside after watching this and sprayed a couple of beetles. They died instantly. Thank you! A little Dawn and some water did the trick. Hope the plants are OK.

3. Earl says:

I’m glad it worked for you. I never saw plant damage from soap. But if you get concerned about it, you could wash them off by spraying some clean water over the plants to remove the soap. I hope your garden produces good fruit.

4. Judy says:

Thank YOU so much for the advise… Seven Dust just wasnt killing them and It was getting quite expensive. THANKS again, appreciate it.

5. Earl says:

Thanks for your feedback. :-)

6. Teri says:

Thank you very much for this info. I have tried Sevendust (powder and spray) and it has not worked. I have thousands of squash bugs this year. It is amazing how many there are. I am going to try dishsoap right now.
    Thanks again!!

7. ed bass says:

Does the black red headed beatle attack evergreen shrubs?

8. Earl says:

I do not know about that. Sorry.

9. Duty says:

SQUEEEELLL! Oh my gosh, thank you! I never thought of dish soap. But that is kinda funny since we used dish soap, bleach water and a super soaker to kill bag worms one year. Thank you again.

10. Hilda says:

Thanks so much for your great blog!! I live in Dallas, Tx and these are the bugs that have been killing my Zucchini squash plants and now I have a way to kill them without harming my plants and/or other living things around my veggie garden…thanks so much, I can’t wait to try this!! Question: I have a Fels-Naftha soap bar, will this work or can only soap dish work?

11. Earl says:

Thank you for your kind comments. I am sorry, I do not know about anything about that kind of soap. However, I would assume that any soapy water would work. You could try a little and see. It does not take long to confirm if it works.

12. Linda says:

Just rained here. Does it need to be applied to a dry leaf or will it being wet still work? Can’t wait to see if this works. If so, my back yard neighbor will thank you also as these bugs are eating his squash.

13. Earl says:

Apply the soap to the bugs, not the leaves.

14. Amy says:

Thanks for the tip on the soap. I have squash bugs going after my zucchini and butternut squash plants. Do you have to wait for the eggs to hatch or can you spray the eggs and take care of them? Can we still harvest and eat the squash after we control the bugs? Thanks for your help!

15. Earl says:

I don’t know if the soap water will kill the unhatched bugs still in the eggs. Yes, you can eat the squash after spraying with soapy water. You’re just cleaning your food before you eat it… but I would be sure to rinse the squash off with clean water because soap does not taste good. :-)

16. wm. grant says:

3m spary glue on bugs and eggs or finger nail polish on eggs, they will not hatch

17. Monica says:

Amazing! After spending quite a bit of money trying to find something to control these things, and 2 hours every other day picking them and their eggs, I had to try Dawn-water right away. And they started dying. Right before my eyes! It was one of the most gratifying garden experiences I’ve had this year (tomatoes aren’t ripe yet… ). Thank you so much for this tip. The cucumber beetles don’t seem to mind the soapy water, but they respond quite well to other things. I also read somewhere to use duct tape to remove the eggs from the leaves, going to try that as well.

18. jimme greenthumb says:

this is incredible.. i mean they die right before your eyes….

19. jimme greenthumb says:

this reaaly works

20. Di says:

We picked some bugs and sprayed them with this solution and it worked! Thank you! I have a question, I sprayed the mix on the leaves -as a preventive measure, but I am concerned if it will damage the plant. What do you recommend?

21. Earl says:

I am glad it worked for you. The pestilence level sure is going up, just as the bible predicted. “All these are the beginning of sorrows.” Matthew 24:8

Personally, I would not spray soapy water on leaves that have no bugs. Leaves allow a plant to take in CO2 through little holes called stomata. The stomata should be able to open. I would not spray with soapy water unless the bugs are present, because the soapy water could interfere with the plant’s ability to breathe in CO2. Soapy water kills bugs only if the bug is covered with it anyway. So for best results, spray the bugs directly and not the leaves. After the bugs are dead, you can spray off your plants with water if you want to make sure the stomata are not plugged up.

22. Rosemary says:

After spending a lot of money on organic squash bug killers, I am going out and try this. My spaghetti squash and zucchini are loaded. thank you

23. Jenn says:

Fels-Naptha will work.. about 1/3 of the bar and 1 QT of water…

For repelling use 1 clove of garlic, 1 small onion, 1 haberneo and 1 jalepano in 1 qt of water.. and let steep 1 hour.. strain and ad ONE DROP of dishwashing liquid.. spray every few days to stop them from eating it and coming back.

24. Arlie says:

Folks, I was being eaten up by adult and young squash bugs. plants were dying. I went to our local nursery and bought a bottle of neemII spray .It took care of at least half of them but costly.14 bucks .I then used the PLAIN handsoap in water 1 tsp to 1 gal. This worked too. But wash it off the plant in two hours after using or it will kill the plants it it is too hot.Still some squash bugs. Went to local Southern States and bought Eight consentrate 1 oz per gal of water, along with garlic cloves (crushed and split)around the base of the plant weekly.I am now bug free.And lastly DONT overwater your plants.

25. Patti Simmons says:

I am SO glad I found this site!I’ve been using the dishsoap and water for awhile and it works. I’ve also used the Fels naptha and that works great as well. It DOES kill cucumber beetles it just takes a little longer. My husband and I have had an all out battle with all the curcubid beetles this year BUT I think we might be winning the war! Only saw 1 spotted cuke beetle and so far, no striped ones. Yup, we had them BOTH plus the squash beetles. No fun here.
    Now we have woodchucks SO we grew ghost peppers and used them around everything EXCEPT the tomatoes. Think this might be working too!

26. Dina says:

Thank you so much for the soap tip for squash bugs! I wish I knew it a month ago. I could spray them with my dogs right there and not worry about them getting ill from chemicals! I will make sure I stay on top of them next year for sure. Does the soap trick work for any other garden pests?

27. Debra C says:

They look like the bugs that come into our houses when the cold weather sets in. We’ve never had them before, but a few years ago they’ve been rampant around the states here.
    Everyone calls them stink bugs. Not sure if they are the same but sure does look like them … so I will try the soap detergent and see if it works. People out here don’t know how to get rid of them .

28. smdruid says:

Wow….great site…Neem did nothing…and Seven doesn’t seem to work anymore either….I’ve been farming for 3 decades and have never seen such a lousy crop of bugs…I won’t if they winter over in the soil.

29. joy says:

Unbelievable! It works, no poison. Thank you so much. In Texas.

30. joy says:

And yes I will go back out in a while and spray the leaves off with clean water.

31. Holly says:

It worked! Thank you!

32. barb says:

Looking under each leaf can be rather grueling, esp. in the heat….but I hopefully killed them for the time being…but you wonder if you miss one leaf..what happens? Guess you have to be on squash bug patrol all summer.

33. Earl says:

Bug patrol! :-) That’s what I call it, too. This year my squash plants got taken out early by some grub-like creature that bore a hole into the stem of the plants. The soap water trick does not work on patching up a hole in the stems of the plants.

My okra plants have been attacked this year with ants and aphids. The soap water works well on them without the soap water hurting the plants. I have not rinsed off the soap water each time, but the okra leaves do not look damaged. The okra plants grow much better when the ants and aphids are gone.

I hope your plants make food for you.

34. Christina Arredondo says:

THANK YOU SSSSSOOOOOO much …..I have had these for years but this year man oh man they are horrible!!!! Mission impossible starts in the am!!!!

35. Sheila Moss says:

Where have I been? After several seasons of losing my plants early, due to these voracious squash bugs, I am happy to know that I will come out the winner. It was so much fun watching them die realizing that my zucchini will now survive. This is the best tip I have had in a long time. I may now be able to share my zucchini with the neighbors.

36. Kat says:

Thanks for the tip. I just went our a killed hundreds of squash bugs using all natural dish soap!!!! It worked!!!

37. Ranger says:

Thanks Earl,our seasons about over here in wesrern Pa but I’ll have the upper hand next year.I’ve allwaysed used 7dust but was concerened about my good bugs I think about trying this out on the aspargus bettles next season Happy gardening remember no farmers no food